What is HIP?
Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP) is the technology of simultaneously pressurizing and processing materials utilizing the synergy of argon gas under high pressure and at high temperatures.
Since installing its first HIP equipment in 1984, Metal Technology Co. Ltd. has continued to develop its HIP business. We now have a total of 18 HIP machines, including two installed in our Chinese Plant. We continue to strive for a high level of technological innovation and understanding.
01. Sintering Materials
- Sintering metals that are difficult to cast.
- Manufacturing of near net shaped parts with a high level of metal purity.
- Manufacturing new materials, compounded materials and alloy materials.
- Possible to manufacture with recycled powders.
- Possible to manufacture large sized parts in one cycle and a reduction of welding or joining.
02. Densification of partially sintered parts / removal of internal defects
- Densification and removal of internal defects. An Improvement of reliability by densification and better mechanical properties by removing internal defects for cast products.
- Predictability, consistency of mechanical properties are improved through HIP.
- Mechanical properties show an increased tensile strength, impact strength, and improved ductility.
03. Diffusion bonding of similar and dissimilar materials
- For parts difficult to manufacture by brazing or welding.
- For parts having complex three dimensional structures.
- Bonding of dissimilar metals.
- Bonding powders and metal blocks.
- For bonding powdered materials to specific areas only.
- For manufacturing composite materials.
|Applicable industries||Aerospace, semi conductor manufacturing equipment, electronic conductor materials, energy equipment, accelerator equipment, automobile related, medical devices, electronic devices, precision devices, chemical devices etc.|
|Applicable materials||Electronic conductor materials, magnetic materials, high melting point materials, heat resistant materials, corrosion resistant materials, cemented carbide, stainless steel, titanium alloys, aluminium alloys, copper alloys, iron alloys, ceramics, amorphous materials, resins and so on. Also, depending on the lining with the base material the combination can vary widely.|
01. Wide range of equipment types
- 18 HIP units in operation including the The world’s largest HIP unit, Giga-HIP.
- Processing size ranges from Dia.200mm x 300H up to Dia.2050 x 4200H.
- Max. temperature - 2000 degree Celsius.
- Max. pressure 196 MPa.
Dia.2,050mm X H4,200mm
Dia.1,100mm X H2,100mm
Tall HIP unit (Ibaraki factory)
Dia. 800×H3,700 mm
02. Technical strength based on our experience
- Capable of bonding similar materials as well as dissimilar materials
- Accumulated a technical database over several years of experience.
- Established manufacturing processes including before and after HIPing that support the process.
- Experience to deal with high temperatures and high pressures
03. Quality control
- Established quality assurance system for after HIPing
04. For parts requiring particular specifications
- Suitable for specifications of parts such as aircraft or nuclear power related
05. Integrated manufacturing system
- Integrated manufacturing including material procurement, capsule design and machining finishes.
Additive Manufacturing from design to inspection at MTC.
- Additive Manufacturing
- MTC has the ability to cover all stages of the additive manufacturing process: from design, build process, heat treatment, and machining, to the final quality assurance.
Any request about products, and ask for quotation can be made here. Other questions and requests about the company can also be made here.
- Company information
- Technology information (Japanese)
- Technology information (English)
- HIP unit list
- Hot press equipment list
- Possible material combinations for brazing
- MICROTRON Test Machine MIC1